Wednesday, February 8, 2012

wizard.inf Error During Software Installation

I received the following error when trying to install Sybase ASE 15.0.3 on Red Hat 6.

InstallShield Wizard

Initializing InstallShield Wizard...

Searching for Java(tm) Virtual Machine...
....................
Running InstallShield Wizard...
The wizard cannot continue because of the following error: could not load wizard specified in /wizard.inf (104)

While researching the problem, I found that the problem was not specific to installing Sybase.  Many people had the same problem installing other software products as well.  The common link was that all of the products used the InstallShield Wizard for the installation.

I came across a few solutions on the web that didn't work for me.  What worked for me was a new version of Java - a version downloaded directly from Oracle.

I was working on a new Red Hat 6 installation that had two versions of Java:  1.5 and 1.6, and the default version was 1.6.  I tried both versions for the installation.  Neither worked, and I received different error messages for each.  Based on a comment that someone had posted on-line, I downloaded and installed the latest Oracle version of Java 1.6.x.  Red Hat Linux allows for multiple versions of Java to be installed, and I made the Oracle 1.6.x version the default.  I was then able to install Sybase.

If you're not familiar with maintaining multiple versions of Java on a Red Hat Linux machine, see my related post.


2 comments:

  1. I think, InstallShield have some problems so i am very interested to use InstallAware. You can view a good difference between them - InstallAware vs
    InstallShield

    ReplyDelete